Runner Runner Against a Fish

Sometimes one fish playing a hand really badly can turn the night around.  Or at least save you on a night when nothing else seems to be going right.

When I encounter a player like this, I wonder if I should be playing either live or online every chance I get.  Maybe I should be playing in poker tournaments or cash games online every night?

I was seriously card dead this night. I lost about half of my $200 buy-in just calling small raises with pocket pairs, suited connectors, etc.  I added another $100 just before this hand happened, against the biggest fish at the table.  He had less than me, about $140 when the hand was dealt.  I had already realized he was a terrible player but I never had the cards or the opportunity to do anything about it….until now.


I had Jack-10 of diamonds in the small blind.  The fish, in late position, raised to $7.  I called, as did one limper.  The flop was Queen-6-5, two diamonds (not the Queen).  I checked, the fish bet $18 and I called.  The other player mucked.  The turn was a black King, giving me the open-ender in addition to the flush draw.  Based on his play, I really didn’t think he’d fold to a bet.  I thought he would pay me off, however, if I hit my hand.  I checked again, and this time he checked behind me.

The river was the Ace of hearts, giving me Broadway, and incidentally, the nuts.  I suppose I would have preferred a diamond so I could have gotten a drawing ticket, but this had to do.

I bet $35.  It seemed like an amount he would call if he had anything at all.  I thought he would call if all he had was a pair of deuces.

He tanked.  He counted out chips.  He restacked them.  He thought some more.  Finally, instead of calling, he said, “Raise to $100.”  Thank you, sir!

I thought it was possible he had the same hand as I did and we’d chop, but I doubted he would have taken that long to make a decision with the nuts.

But the weirdest thing was that he bet $100.  He started counting the chips after he made the verbal declaration.  But I knew he had barely more than $100—no more than $20 more. Why not just go all in? He was certainly pot committed.

I didn’t waste any time.  I announced “all-in” right away.  He said, “Well, I’m probably beat, but I have to call.”  I loved hearing that.

Since he called me I had to show first, and I was only too happy to show the stone-cold nuts.  He didn’t have to, but he did indeed turn over his cards.

Care to guess what he had?

It was Queen-10.  Offsuit.  He never had a flush draw. Or a straight draw.  He did pick up a gut-shot on the river, a bit too late.  He had top pair, weak kicker.  I understand raising with that preflop in late position.  I understand betting the flop.  I could even see him making a crying call on the river, even though he had to think he was beat.

But raising me on the river?  Wow.  Instead of just losing another $35, he lost his whole stack.  Needlessly.

I told you he was a fish.

He asked the dealer where the nearest ATM was, and she dutifully told him.  I said to her, after he took off in the direction of the ATM, “Please come back. Please come back.”

He did.  Unfortunately, I went back to being card dead and he gave away his new chips to other players. 

That pot was the only significant one I won all night, and it helped me break even on a night where I was getting no cards.  Not a great night, but I could settle for it.

Sometimes all it takes is one really bad player to help you out.
Share on :
Runner Runner Against a Fish
Runner Runner Against a Fish
Reviewed by just4u
Published :
Rating : 4.5